Most people think that the only way to help Habitat for Humanity is by working on the construction site. While we couldn't get things done without construction volunteers, we are always in need of those willing to serve in other ways. Following is a brief list of opportunities that everyone—even those too young to work on a jobsite—can participate in.
- Be an advocate for change.
- Make a housewarming basket or stock the pantry for a new homeowner family.
- Hold a furniture/junk drive—collect used (but still usable) items to donate to the Habitat HomeStore.
- Spread the word about homeownership opportunities—help post signs or fliers around town.
- Hold a ‘can drive’ to collect aluminum cans to donate to Habitat.
- Organize and serve meals to volunteers on the worksite.
- Host an ‘Alternative Christmas’/‘Adoption Fair’ and have components of houses (lumber, insulation, etc.) available to buy/adopt for a Habitat home (the buyer will receive a card with the picture of the item they’ve adopted).
- Build picnic tables for Habitat houses.
- Collect used cell phones to donate to Habitat.
- Construct and paint window boxes, flowerpots, or birdhouses to be used as housewarming gifts or fundraising items.
- Organize a change drive—distribute house banks for a month.
- Hold a Housing Simulation. Participants will learn first-hand about the struggles many people face as they try to find a decent place to live.
- Host a Habitat-themed Vacation Bible School—visit Smith & Helwys for more information.
- Organize a fundraiser for Habitat and help provide the funds to build more houses.
- Become an Americorps member and dedicate a year of your life to service.
The ReStore saves thousands of tons of perfectly good materials from ending up in landfills. All proceeds help fund Habitat for Humanity homes! For more information, click here
Phone: (828) 328-4663
Habitat for Humanity
of Catawba Valley
P.O. Box 9475
Hickory, NC 28603
772 4th Street SW
Hickory, NC 28601
1615 8th St Dr SE
Hickory, NC 28602
(Located next to Aldi's, and across from Home Depot)