AmeriCorps | Service to Your Community
Habitat for Humanity of Catawba Valley, located in Hickory NC, is pleased to announce openings for two AmeriCorps Volunteers for the 2013-2014service year. Please email your resume to
The AmeriCorps program is a national service moment, where people of all ages and backgrounds perform community service for a modest living allowance and an educational award.
This is a full-time position (Tuesday-Saturday). We will be selecting two membes for the service year which will begin approximately on August 30, 2013. The position lasts for 46.5 weeks. Please visit www.americorps.gov for more information and to register for the program. All applicants must register prior to consideration for the position.
Position Title: Construction Assistant
- Assist in the preservation or construction of homes in one or more of the following ways: through renovation of existing homes or construction of new homes for Habitat partner families.
- Complete construction tasks on time, and which are part of the team's priority, while following Catawba Valley Habitat's method of building and complying with safety and quality guidelines. The tasks include all aspect building, weatherizing or repairing a Habitat house from lot clearing or project identification to final inspections and punch list.
- Relate to volunteers and homeowners as a friend, mentor and trainer, patiently insructing and encouragaing others in tasks and participation.
- Promote partnership among all participants in the Habitat program, giving speical attention to the needs and concerns of homeowners; and enhancing communication between staff, volunteers, and homeowners.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Interest, willingness and ability to serve beside all types of people with-in in a commitment to the Habitat program.
- Operate as a team member, communicating openly and maintaining respect for others. Foster good relationships with staff, volunteers, homeowners, inspectors and sub-contractors. Remain Flexible.
- Organize and follow through with tasks and responsibilities. Show initiative and willingness to learn. Maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to and interest in acquiring and maintaing a knowledge of building standards and methods
- A valid driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Ability to climb ladders and scaffolding,
- Ability to work on a roof
- Ability to maneuver over uneven ground, stand most or all of day,
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs
Program Benefits with HFH Catawba Valley
- Education Award for full term of service is $5,550
- Living allowance up to $12,100 for 46.5 weeks of service.
- Housing provided by Affiliate for $175 per month including utilities
The ReStore saves thousands of tons of perfectly good materials from ending up in landfills. All proceeds help fund Habitat for Humanity homes! For more information, click here
Phone: (828) 328-4663
Habitat for Humanity
of Catawba Valley
P.O. Box 9475
Hickory, NC 28603
772 4th Street SW
Hickory, NC 28601
1615 8th St Dr SE
Hickory, NC 28602
(Located next to Aldi's, and across from Home Depot)