International Day of Prayer and Action for Human Habitat
Sept. 21, 2008
The , observed on the third Sunday in September, is a time when the entire Habitat for Humanity community is urged to come together in prayer for those in need of shelter.
Through prayer, Habitat for Humanity continues to make a dramatic difference in the lives of people around the world. Many volunteers are drawn to this ministry after hearing God’s call and seeking God’s guidance through prayer.
Other prayers are answered when families and communities grow in the shelter of God’s grace. The hurdles of funding and building homes are overcome through the miracles of prayer.
Offering ourselves as instruments of service
The Day of Prayer was begun in 1983 to make housing a matter of conscience. The intent was to place in the hearts, minds and souls of people everywhere the idea that poverty housing is unacceptable. The New Testament passage from 1 John 3:17 teaches that we must respond to those in need.
The Day of Prayer is a wonderful opportunity for Habitat affiliates/groups to be in partnership with many churches. Invite churches to:
- Shape the worship service on the third Sunday in September around God’s call to serve one another.
- Use the bulletin inserts designed especially for this day. Your affiliate or Habitat group can put a customized message about your local ministry on the back of the inserts.
- Offer prayers for those in need of shelter.
- Pray that people will respond as God calls them.
- Adopt housing as an ongoing ministry emphasis.
Affiliates/Habitat groups can also come together on this special day to:
- Gather the staff, board, committee members and volunteers in prayer.
- Offer thanks to God for the blessings of this ministry.
- Pray for strength and direction.
- Pray for your church partners and pray that God will direct people to use their gifts and put their faith into action.
The ReStore saves thousands of tons of perfectly good materials from ending up in landfills. All proceeds help fund Habitat for Humanity homes! For more information, click here
Phone: (828) 328-4663
Habitat for Humanity
of Catawba Valley
P.O. Box 9475
Hickory, NC 28603
772 4th Street SW
Hickory, NC 28601
1615 8th St Dr SE
Hickory, NC 28602
(Located next to Aldi's, and across from Home Depot)